Decide your own salary. Is it a dream comes true at Officience?
You may be amazed when I say that I am the person who decides my salary in the company and that it is not because I am a big boss, a CEO or anything on the top. Everyone is equal here because we work in a flattened organizational structure. That means we do not have chiefs who give command and assign tasks. Also, we do not call you by your title, but your name and we know which roles you are responsible for, a founder, a data analyst, a project manager, an influencer for example.
Without manager, however, is not the reason why you need to make decisions. What to have for dinner, where to go this summer vacation, who you admire, etc. are all things you have to decide yourself everyday in your life. That means you have already the habit and all the capabilities of decision making. Furthermore, thanks to advanced information technology, you can also easily reach or share the necessary information and connect with people in order to take out a wiser choice. Once everyone is connected to each other, the role of manager is no more required and it is replaced by the leadership. Absolutely, you cannot ask others to do what you want because they can make the decision to do it or not. You rather inspire and influence them with your passion, logical argument, rational explanation, large vision and a good example. From now on, all of you are satisfied with what you choose and responsible for what you make without blame. The salary review system is accordingly respecting this culture of leadership, influence and self-management of Officience. Rights and duties go hand in hand. You need to respect people affected by your decision and you are responsible for your choice.
Whether you believe it or not, KPI (Key performance indicator) is neither available nor preferred at Officience. Likely, there is no standard for beauty. We are not a machine and you are not a bolt used to complete the hold of the system and make it run. Instead of being recruited to accomplish repeated missions, Offies (how we call people in Officience community) can feel free to let their talents shine and contribute to the community as much as they can, which encourages them to continuously self-develop, innovate and develop their career path by their way. Therefore, at the same time, an Offy can take various roles according to their willingness and capabilities. No one is a duplicate of another. It leads to the problem that you cannot make 200 KPI differents for 200 people. In case of forcing one KPI for a group of people, it will be incorrect for some (because they do extra work which is not counted in the KPI) or it will prevent their potentials and the variance of contribution (they will do nothing out of KPI criteria because their effort is not appreciated).
Also, similar to the point of school system, all of us have passed hundreds of examinations at school and tried hard to get high academic results, so that we can get an Excellent Certification or get into a well-known university. At the end of the day, you may agree with me that:
“ – The point of school is to stamp out diversity and replace it with conformity.
– The point of school is to crush creativity.
– The point of school is to crush childrens’ dreams and convince them that the best they can hope for is to settle for a “safe job”.
– The point of school is to get good grades.
– The point of school is to get accepted into another school (and the point of that school is to put you hopelessly in debt).”
(from: It’s Time to Blow Up The Public School System – Matthew Kent, Medium)
How can we keep continue evaluate others on the number of points when we know it’s not right? You are not an industrial piece of puzzle to be located or used by the operator. Offies believe that you can live your life with your own rhythm in the condition of keeping your commitments and keeping improved.
For newcomers, they will start with the agreed amount of salary proposed by the project team and recruitment team. After the probation period or a period of working together (normally one year), they can make a salary review.
Similarly, all Offies can review their salary when they recognize changes in their role or their contribution.
Here is the guideline for Salary Review at Officience:
Step 1: Draft your Salary Review:
– Review your performance on projects, self-development and contribution in the community
– Plan your new missions, responsibilities and objectives for upcoming period
– Define your new salary expectation based on the information and references got from market salary guides (ex: First Alliances, Adecco, etc.), from Officience HR and Recruitment team, and demand for your life insurance.
Step 2: Talk to your influencers and experts and finalize your Salary Review
– Ask your influencers and experts in the domain for their feedback and advice
– Ask who will be affected negatively or positively by your decision
– Reconsider and update your Salary Review in need
Step 3: Share your Salary Review with all Offies
– Publish on WorkPlace in group Review & Objectives
– Wait for Offies to read and feedback in at least 2 weeks
– Answer questions and give more information if required
– Discuss to look for clarification when tension happens.
– Reconsider your Salary Review after receiving all feedback.
Step 4: Meet and talk to the founder as he signs the Salary Increase Decision
– Cao Phong DUONG, the founder, takes this opportunity to know you and every Offy better. He will be happy if you share with him about your work, your team, your objectives, your difficulties or happiness working at Officience, etc. On the human side, of course, he doesn’t want to sign on a person’s request even though he doesn’t know who this person is or what she/he does.
– This step aims also to deal with the tax inspection.
Step 5: Send an official email to HR
– Make your decision about your new salary after all previous transparency and discussion steps
– Send an email to inform the HR (email@example.com) about your new salary
To help you evaluate your own performance and contribution to the community, there are several elements below which may guide you:
– Scope of work: Does it increase or decrease ? Any change ? What are your new role? We suggest you to not only base on neither the P&L nor the revenue of the projects you work on. Unless your scope of work change, the increase of the revenue or P&L of the project doesn’t something can prove your better performance. Thanks to you that the project continue and run smoothly, however, this is rather your responsibility and your choice when you choose to engage in it.
– Innovation & Improvement: Do you join any internal project? Do you support any Offies, clusters or partners? Do you have any new ideas to develop? What are the outputs of your researches and self-development? (product, demo, presentation, article, training, etc.). What is your planning of Innovation & Improvement?
– Activities & Events & People: As Officience is a community, how do you contribute to the community ? How active are you? What causes do you share ? What events/activities do you participate in? Who do you meet and connect with?
– Social network: Is your profile on social networks up-to-date (e.g. Linkedin, Twitter, Stack Overflow, etc.)? Are you an active member of any community of your expertise?
– SMART Objectives: After all, Salary Review is to look for a new rate of your salary for the upcoming period. We cannot pay back what you did, Officience accept your new salary expectation based on your performance, the trust we have on you and especially your next objectives. These are what you are going to perform and achieve in the period. Please be Specific, Mesurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time Based. There is a Smart Objectives Training offered by Thanh Tam TRAN at Officience. You can join and learn more about it.
– and so more: Because what you can do at Officience is unlimited as long as it fits our shared values.
Another thing you should know is that salary of Offies is totally transparent. It means you can search on Dinh (ERP platform) or ask our e-buddy BenBot to know other Offy’s salary in an exact number or a range as below:
- Cau – [< 3.7M VND]
- Cau + [3.7M VND – 4.1M VND]
- Dua – [4.2M VND – 5.1M VND]
- Dua [5.2M VND – 6.1M VND]
- Dua + [6.2M VND – 7.4M VND]
- Du – [7.5M VND – 8.9M VND]
- Du + [9M VND – 10.9M VND]
- Xoai – [11M VND – 13.9M VND]
- Xoai [14M VND – 17.9M VND]
- Xoai + [18M VND – 21.9 VND]]
- Vai – [22M VND – 43.9M VND]
- Vai + [>= 44M VND]
- Nho – [<4000 EUR]
- Nho + [>=4000 EUR]
Do you think it is a good idea to transparent all information, even salary? I’ll share my point of view in another article.
Hopefully, this sharing can help you to better understand the salary system in the open organization of Officience. We are open for a talk and discussion about this creative operation.